INVESTIGATING NEPA IS BACK

PRESCRIPTION DRUG DEATHS

This week, Action 16 Investigates looked at the problem of prescription drug overdose deaths, and I was honored to speak with local police, county coroners, and the mother of a man who died of an overdose death four years ago.
This is a problem receiving little attention and that can be a deadly oversight.

Our report revealed that prescription drug overdose deaths in Lackawanna, Luzerne, and Monroe Counties have skyrocketed in the last five years.
Three times as many people die from prescription drugs as the street drug we parents worry about like heroin and cocaine.
But those are the statistics.
The human stories behind the numbers really tell the story.
I had the pleasure of interviewing Carol Coolbaugh of West Pittston, who in her son’s memory, talks to D.A.R.E. program elementary school students to tell a precautionary tale about Erik Coolbaugh.
                                                       ERIK COOLBAUGH

Erik was addicted to both street and prescription drugs, but Carol never worried about the vicodins or the xanax until she saw it contribute to Erik’s downward spiral, and eventually, his death. 
The saddest moment of the interview was when she quoted her own son as calling himself a “garbage head,” because he would take whatever drugs were put in front of him. 
Imagine a child of yours slipping so far away, and calling himself or herself a “garbage head.” 
I hope our investigation brings more awareness to the issue.
Here is a link to the story.
Our investigation on bath salts was groundbreaking and really the clarion call to a problem that gripped this region for a short spell.
Our investigation into “Four Loko” won an Emmy for me and Newswatch 16, and was part of a tidal wave of reports on Four Loko that eventually got its makers to change the alcohol and caffeine mix in the product.
We are going to have to pay more attention to prescription drug abuse, not only to discourage our kids from experimenting, but to reach people between 25-50, who make up the lions share of the overdoses.


READ ACROSS AMERICA

Last week saw “Read Across America” day, and I spent Thursday morning at Ross Elementary School in Sweet Valley, reading “Oh, the Places You Will Go,” to an auditorium full of kindergartners, first and second graders.  Then I read, “The Lorax,” to the third through six graders who followed.


Two thoughts: 
1-You have to read Dr. Seuss slowly because his tongue twisters can really throw you off your cadence.  I would have left TV a long time ago, if Dr. Seuss were a producers.
2-The Lorax is a real deep precautionary tale meant for older children.  It is the best work by Dr. Seuss, and almost brought me to tears.  Wouldn’t that have been embarrassing at an Elementary School Assembly?
I hope my reading and words of encouragement will develop the kind of passion for reading in these kids that my grandmother Glad helped instill in me in the early 1960’s.  I miss you Glad, and carry your love for reading to this day.


LINSANITY !
As a die hard sports fan, I am loving the Jeremy Lin story.  I never rooted for Harvard, or the New York Knicks, but his story is as American as any, and I wish him success.  

Breaking stereotypes, being a decent guy, and getting to where he is thanks to hard work, and split second smarts makes him my new favorite NBA player. 
And even though I didn’t root for them against the Celtics today, I am kind of pulling for the Knicks to do well and go deep into the playoffs.  I know, its New York, land of the dreaded Yankees, but the truth is, I can never hate a sports team.  Except the Dallas Cowboys.

Chat with you next week.
Dave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INVESTIGATING NEPA August 14, 2017

INVESTIGATING NEPA August 26, 2017

INVESTIGATING NEPA JUNE 11, 2017