INVESTIGATING NEPA JUNE 4, 2017


JUNE IS HERE




          I spent the latter half of the week working on two Newswatch 16 investigations in Schuylkill County, which should air in the coming week.  Some of the communities in what we know as “The Skook” are beautiful this time of year and the countryside drives were pleasant.  Some have called these communities “bleak,” and all are reminders of coal’s strong past, and murky future.  But the investigation will be worth your watch, and in these communities people still take pride in where they are from, even if the populations are dwindling.  I did have one story I did in Luzerne county this week I’d like to mention. 


 

I work every year on Memorial Day, partly out of respect for those who fought and died.  Since most of my work involves calling and sometimes confronting people on matters they’d rather not discuss, Memorial Day is the one day of the year where I can truly come in peace, even if the subject is the sacrifice of war.  It was nice to profile the Brogans of Avoca here.  Jim Brogan served in Vietnam and when I saw he and his wife Helen see their nephew, march in the Wyoming-West Wyoming parade as a member of the Army National Guard, it was a moment of immense pride.  As it should be.  My favorite story this week.

 


This was a notable week in business television news with word that Scott Pelley will be leaving the main anchor chair at the CBS Evening News.   The CBS Evening News has had more downs than ups since Walter Cronkite retired in the early 1980’s, and it has been struggling of late.  Scott Pelley will devote all his energies to 60 Minutes, which is still the gold standard for television journalism. 

 


CBS’ ratings problems at 6:30PM cannot be cured by an anchor change, and the lower than expected ratings are not Scott Pelley’s fault.  Besides, the person who should replace him in the chair will not be moving there.  That person, in my opinion, is Norah O’Donnell who is one of the very few talents who is outstanding as a reporter and anchor.  Here’s why I don’t think CBS will make the move:  It’s morning show with her, Gayle King, and Charlie Rose is rising fast in the morning news wars, which are more profitable, and arguably as prestigious as the 6:30 PM Evening News.  And remember, the AM news has four times as many commercial breaks, and does not compete with solid shows on cable in that time slot, as the airways and cable stations are filled with infomercials.

 


Of course, that’s my opinion, judging anchors is subjective, you can argue who is best until the bars close, and settle nothing.  I’ve watched network newscasts for half a century, and the people I think are best may be different.  So for my list of the week, I put together my Top Ten Network Anchors of All-Time.  Feel free to agree or disagree.

 


10. David Brinkley.  Who later hosted a great Sunday Morning show.

  8.   David Muir. He and Holt in a dead heat.

  8.   Lester Holt.  Better than Brian Williams even before Williams’ gaffes.

  7.  Chet Huntley.  My first favorite network anchor. 

  6.  Diane Sawyer.  Great career. Steady, and smart.

  5.  Norah O’Donnell.  The best on the scene at present.

  4.  Tom Brokaw.  Great feel for the pulse of middle-America.  Bonus points for being the speaker at my college graduation in 1979.

  3.  John Chancellor.  Best delivery, most trusted.

  2.  Walter Cronkite.  Most have him first.  Can’t argue with his place in American History

  1.   Peter Jennings. Came across as a blend of James Bond and Mr. Chips, but was really a high-school dropout who did well.  The best. 

 


          In local news, I was mildly surprised at the sentences for former Penn State President Graham Spanier, and two other administrators.  My colleague Nikki Krize had the big local story of the week. 
 
 
 
With an ex-President soon about to be in prison, and the recent death of a fraternity pledge, Penn State is going through a rough time.  Having lived in eight states, Pennsylvanians are more loyal to their state university than people are in Massachusetts, Colorado, New York, Vermont, Ohio, Florida, North Carolina, and New Mexico.  This loyalty will be needed for the school to come through with its academic reputation intact. 

 

Best news story I read all week was in Saturday’s New York Times.  I know many who turned to a career in trucking for stability and decent pay, and it sounds like this profession has seen better days.  Great profile of real people on this story in the Times.   There will be follow ups on this in the coming years.  It is my opinion that a future of driverless cars and trucks will be here sooner that we will not prepared for the economic consequences of job displacement.

 


Sports:  As I finish this, the Nashville Predators just won game three of the Stanley Cup Finals, which means we may have a series.  Hope so.  This weekend, I am finally getting a late start on my golf game as the putting green and driving range beckoned.  Saturday, June 10th, I’ll be joining my Newswatch 16 Teammates Jim Coles, and Kurt Aaron at the Little Sisters of the Poor Golf Tournament, which is always a blast.  Hope to see you there. 

 

But the best sports news of all comes from Hazleton.  My daughter Lexi officially earned her letter in lacrosse, which means both my girls Adrianna (tennis) and Lexi (lacrosse) are officially members of the Hazleton Area High School Varsity Club.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INVESTIGATING NEPA August 14, 2017

INVESTIGATING NEPA August 26, 2017

INVESTIGATING NEPA JUNE 11, 2017